This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2005, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.
The cornerstone for the Kearns-St. Ann's Orphanage was laid on Aug. 27, 1899; the orphanage opened in 1900. The next year, Mr. and Mrs. Thomas F. Kearns deeded the orphanage property to the Catholic Diocese of Salt Lake; their 1899 donation of $50,000 paid to build the orphanage.
In 1926 there were 66 children between the ages of 5-15 at the orphanage and an additional 50 day students at the school. The transition from orphanage-school to full-time school began in 1953. St. Ann's School opened in 1955 as a K-4 school with an additional grade added each year. By 1959 the school was K-8.
The building was designed by Carl M. Newhausen, who was also the architect for the Cathedral of the Madeleine and the Thomas Kearns mansion (now the Governor's mansion). The school was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. In the early 1990s the name was changed to Kearns-St. Ann's School in honor of their early benefactors.
The orphanage eventually became a school, and it was named St. Ann's School in 1955. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. In the early 1990s it was renamed Kearns-St. Ann's School in honor of its early benefactors. The school is at 400 E. 2100 South.