This is an archived article that was published on in 2016, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Police on Tuesday identified both the victim and suspects in a fatal carjacking-related crash in Kaysville.

Kaysville Police Lt. Kenton Pies said that 21-year-old Jazmyn Jeppson of Farmington died about 4:50 p.m. Monday when a stolen car, allegedly driven by Anthony Santos Cruz, exited Interstate 15 via the Parrish Lane exit, went through the intersection and struck her gray eastbound car.

It was about 4:30 p.m. Monday when Kaysville police received a report of a man and a woman carjacking a maroon Mazda 6. A few minutes later, initially unaware it was stolen, a Unified Police officer on his way to work drove up to the apparently stalled vehicle, which was stopped on southbound Interstate 15 near Lund Lane in Centerville.

A man and a woman, later identified as Cruz, 27, and Michelle Jenifer Vigil, 22, were outside of the car when the UPD officer stopped; they told him they had run out of gas. Suspicious, the officer contacted dispatchers and learned the vehicle had been carjacked moments before.

Vigil allegedly tried to flee on foot as Cruz purportedly ran to a nearby black Volkswagen, and after the driver jumped out, sped away southbound on I-15.

The fatal crash occurred moments later when Cruz took the Parrish Lane exit, went through the intersection of the offramp and Parrish Lane and struck an eastbound car driven by Jeppson, according to police.

Cruz who was taken to the hospital following the crash for treatment of non-life threatening injuries, had not been booked into the Davis County jail as of late Tuesday morning.

Court records show Cruz — also known as Mario Anthony Archuleta, Mark Cruz, Carlos Ortiz, Mario Sanchez and Anthony Renteria — had been released from Salt Lake County jail on Jan. 8, pending a Feb. 11 preliminary hearing on domestic assault and burglary charges.

Vigil was being held in the jail in lieu of more than $500,000 bail on suspicion of felony aggravated robbery and fleeing police, and misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia.

Court records indicate she had been on supervised release since 2014 on misdemeanor theft, intoxication and fleeing police counts.

Twitter: @remims