Home » News
Home » News

Mom who left baby is jailed in ID fraud

Published May 3, 2006 12:40 am

Premature birth: Child in foster care; false name used to get into hospital
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2006, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

After naming her baby Dorothy Bell, Dorothy Bell Moran allegedly abandoned the girl at University Hospital last week, just days after giving birth.

Until Tuesday, there had been no sign of Moran. Police say she used the identity of Anndorie Sachs to gain admittance to Alta View Hospital in Sandy and was transferred to University Hospital, where she gave birth.

Sachs said her driver license, University of Utah student ID, cell phone, cash and a check had been taken from her unlocked car in February.

Tuesday afternoon, police caught up to Moran after receiving a tip from someone who believed she was the mother of the child, said Sandy police Sgt. Victor Quezada.

Moran is cooperating with investigators, Quezada said. She was booked into the Salt Lake County jail on suspicion of third-degree identity fraud. She also had two warrants, one for illegal possession of a controlled substance and one for theft by receiving stolen property.

"I've never heard of anything like this," said Division of Child and Family Services spokesman Dwayne Baird, who recently retired from the Salt Lake City Police Department after nearly 27 years in law enforcement.

On the morning of April 22, Moran showed up at Alta View Hospital, saying she was going into labor, said hospital spokesman Jess Gomez.

Moran was 32 to 33 weeks pregnant, and there would be a high risk during the premature birth. So Moran was taken to University Hospital, where she gave birth later that morning, Gomez said.

Baird said the baby's mother tested positive for methamphetamine exposure.

Sachs said the Division of Child and Family Services told her the baby tested positive for drugs.

Sachs' name was used to apply for Social Security for the baby and Medicaid to pay for the birth, she said. Her attorney told her it will take a little more than a year to get her name off the bills as well as the Social Security and Medicaid paperwork.

"I'm not angry about anything," Sachs, a mother of four, said Tuesday. "If the use of my ID is what allowed this baby a chance to survive, then it's worth it to me."

The baby was released from the hospital Monday and placed in foster care. DCFS was looking for a permanent placement for her.







Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus