Home » News
Home » News

Prep soccer: Cook, Viewmont stun Mountain Crest 2-1

Published May 20, 2016 9:36 pm

Prep soccer • His goal in the final seconds sends Viewmont into the 5A semifinals.
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2016, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Bountiful • As thunder rolled over the Viewmont pitch Friday afternoon, lightning struck.

With the rain pelting down and the wind gusting in the final seconds of a Class 5A soccer quarterfinal ticking off the clock, the Vikings' Drake Cook knocked a header into the Mountain Crest goal to give Viewmont a thrilling 2-1 victory.

The game ended as Viewmont celebrated a goal that came just moments after the Mustangs had tied the contest on a shot by Simeon Wells.

"These kids have kept fighting," said Viewmont coach Spencer Kiddington. "There were a couple of games we when had to put them [goals] in late. That was really late. We've never been that late. It's the last second and it goes in. That's a great feeling."

Cook, who was carried on the shoulders of a teammate as a nice-sized home crowd cheered in a downpour, said that this was the most he has ever hustled for a goal. He didn't know the game had ended until somebody told him.

"All I remember is that the ball came over the top, bounced over one of the defenders and there was a deflection," he said. "The keeper was out of the goal so I just jumped up and headed it in, hoping it would be an easy finish."

This was a tense game between the upstart visitors from Cache County, a fourth-place team from Region 1, and the Region 2 Vikings.

Winds that gusted about 20 mph much of the game, with stronger gusts at times, made for difficult conditions.

Goalies Tyler Trump of Viewmont and Chantz Mathys of Mountain Crest needed to make some acrobatic saves in a contest that was scoreless until 13:46 was left to play.

That's when Mathys was called for a penalty inside the box, giving Viewmont a penalty kick.

Cook got the call on that one and buried his first try, only to be told that he couldn't hesitate in that situation. His second chance went in for the game's first goal.

"Our center forward was in the box and their goalkeeper basically tackled him," said Cook. "That's always a PK. ... I knew were the keeper was going so I placed it."

As the weather deteriorated, it looked as though that 1-0 score might hold up. But, with less than two minutes to play, Wells got free from close range right of the goal and buried the tying shot.

That shock might have caused some teams to hang their heads, but Viewmont came right back down for the winning score.

"We felt bad," said Kiddington about the Mountain Crest Goal. "But the win was a testament to how hard they work and never give up."

Twitter @tribtomwharton —

Viewmont 2, Mountain Crest 1

R Drake Cook scores both Viewmont goals in the final 14 minutes of the game.

• Mountain Crest's Simeon Wells ties the score in the final two minutes, before Cook's game-winner.






Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus