This is an archived article that was published on in 2016, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

A 19-year-old Mount Pleasant man has been charged with aggravated murder and other crimes in the death of a Sanpete County resident whose burned body was found in a shallow grave.

In addition to the first-degree-murder count, Raul Francisco Vidrio also was charged Monday in 4th District Court with obstruction of justice, a second-degree felony, and abuse or desecration of a human body, a third-degree felony.

Vidrio is accused of killing Wesley Dee Nay, 22, who was last seen alive on Aug. 29. His body was discovered on Oct. 19 by a man and his son who were hunting coyotes, according to court records.

The charred remains were buried in a shallow grave several miles east of a church just inside Utah County. Search warrant affidavits say that Nay was with Vidrio on the on the last day he was seen alive.

A probable cause statement filed by the Utah County attorney's office says Vidrio beat and stabbed Nay to death, placed the body in a shallow grave lined with wood, doused the body with gasoline and lighted it on fire.

According to the document, a witness told investigators that on Aug. 31, which was shortly after Nay was last seen, he overheard Vidrio and two others talking about "opening the door to hell, the Saint of the Dead, and some dark s—-."

Police say they found a photo on Vidrio's cellphone that appeared to show Nay digging what would become his own grave.

Vidrio was arrested in Sandy on Sept. 1 for allegedly possessing a stolen truck, according to court documents.

He was released from Salt Lake County jail on Nov. 15 after resolving the case with the truck. Utah County authorities immediately arrested him for allegedly killing Nay.

During an initial court appearance on Monday, a judge found Vidrio was indigent and appointed an attorney to represent him.

A scheduling hearing is set for Dec. 1.

Vidrio, meanwhile, is being held in Utah County jail on $500,000 bail.

Twitter: @PamelaMansonSLC