This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2017, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.
Utah Roman Catholics can choose from numerous contemplative retreats during this Lenten season, a six-week spiritual and liturgical observance that begins on Ash Wednesday (March 1) and ends on Easter Sunday (April 16).
The Catholic Diocese of Salt Lake City has scheduled five retreats to mark the period of solemn reflection:
• The Silent Marian Retreat will be 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturday, March 11, at St. Mary Catholic Church, 4050 S. 3900 West, in West Haven. Cost is $10, with lunch provided. For more information, visit http://www.stmarysutah.org.
• The "Lent: What's in it for Me?" Retreat is set to begin at 2 p.m. on Saturday, March 11, at St. Joseph the Worker Catholic Church, 7405 S. Redwood Road, West Jordan. This retreat is free. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The "Finding Joy" Lenten Retreat will start at 9 a.m. on Saturday, March 25, at the St. George Catholic Church's Kuzy Hall, 259 W. 200 North. It is free, though donations will be accepted. For information, call 435-632-1572.
• The two-day Diocesan Charismatic Family Encounter is set for Saturday and Sunday, March 25-26, beginning 8 a.m. Each day, at Juan Diego Catholic High School, 300 E. 11800 South, Draper. Cost is a $10 donation for participants age 15 and older; a children's retreat also will be offered. For more information, call the Diocesan Office of Hispanic Ministry, 801-328-8641.
• The Diocesan Lenten Retreat will be Saturday, April 1, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at St. Vincent de Paul Catholic Church, 1375 E. Spring Lane, in Holladay. The bilingual service will cost $15, a fee that includes lunch. To register, visit http://www.dioslc.org.