I'm not familiar with Katherine Jenkins, the Welsh opera singer, although she did appear in an episode of "Doctor Who." And, given that I don't speak Spanish, it's probably no surprise that I'd never heard of telenovela star William Levy.
And were it not for the fact that I write about television for a living, I probably wouldn't be aware of Disney Channel actor/singer Roshon Fegan ("Camp Rock" and "Shake It Up!").
But the rest of the list is filled with familiar names:
• Gavin DeGraw, singer
• Donald Driver, Green Bay Packers receiver
• Melissa Gilbert, actress (best known for "Little House on the Prairie")
• Gladys Knight, Grammy-winning singer
• Maria Menounos, TV host ("Extra")
• Martina Navratilova (tennis star)
• Sherri Shepherd (actress and TV host - "The View")
• Jack Wagner, actor (best known for "General Hospital" and "Melrose Place")
• Jaleel White (actor, best known as Urkel on "Family Matters")
"Dancing with the Stars" remains an entertainment show masquerading as a competition. It's all about popularity, and talent is secondary.
But the show clearly has its fans. And it succeeds better as entertainment than it does as competition.