Home » News
Home » News

Two West Valley City families homeless after blaze

Published March 2, 2012 8:14 am
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2012, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

An early Friday morning house fire left two West Valley City families homeless, and sent three people to the hospital.

West Valley City Fire Battalion Chief Bob Fitzgerald said one woman was in fair condition at University Hospital's Burn Unit after jumping from a second-floor window to the ground. She suffered facial lacerations and minor burns but no broken bones.

"It looks like she will be staying in the hospital at least a couple days," Fitzgerald said.

Another woman and a man were treated at the hospital for minor burns and cuts and then released. Two other adults and five children were uninjured as they fled the flames that broke out about 4 a.m. at 2573 S. 3500 West.

Fitzgerald estimated damage to the home exceeded $100,000.

"When our crews got there, fire was rolling up the front of the house out of the windows and on the roof where the swamp cooler was," Fitzgerald said. "It looks like it started in the basement mechanical room, where the furnace and washer and dryer were located."

The occupants were finding shelter with friends and relatives, Fitzgerald said.





Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus