Home » News
Home » News

Carbon County sheriff's captain accused of keying vehicles resigns

Published April 12, 2012 10:26 pm

Courts • Officer allegedly said twice that he would "pay the damages to make the charges go away."
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2012, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

A Carbon County sheriff's captain charged with allegedly damaging three vehicles — two owned by government agencies — has resigned from his position.

Sheriff James Cordova on Wednesday confirmed Guy Adams' resignation, which takes effect Friday.

Cordova said Adams' letter of resignation did not address the three criminal mischief charges he is facing after he allegedly used a car key or other instrument to scratch the vehicles in January at a South Salt Lake auto repair business.

"It was just one sentence," he said. "He simply submitted his resignation and said in parentheses that he was retiring."

Adams was charged in 3rd District Court in February with two class A misdemeanor counts of criminal mischief causing intentional damage to property and one class B misdemeanor count of criminal mischief causing intentional damage to property.

On Jan. 6, Adams' patrol vehicle was being worked on at the business. While Cordova and Adams waited for the repairs to be made, Adams went to the back of the lot for a smoke break, according to police reports.

The next day, damage was discovered on three vehicles parked in the north lot, charging documents state.

A 2012 GMC Sierra belonging to Dave Smith Motors had multiple scratches to the driver's side door and hood, causing $938 in damage. A 2012 Ford Fusion belonging to the Syracuse Police Department had multiple scratches on the driver's side door frames, causing $74 in damage, and a 2006 Ford Expedition belonging to the U.S. Forest Service also had multiple scratches on the driver's side door, causing $586 in damage.

A South Salt Lake police detective reviewed surveillance video, charging documents state, and observed Adams walking and standing in the same location where each of the vehicles was damaged. Adams is seen on the video touching the hood of the GMC and making an up and down motion in the spot where the hood had been damaged.

The shop owner told police that Adams contacted him twice, asking to pay for the damages and to also say that if the charges were not dropped, he would lose his job.

Cordova confronted Adams in early January about the incident, according to charging documents, and asked if Adams scratched the vehicles. Adams allegedly said that he didn't think he did but that he didn't remember.

When Cordova told Adams there was video surveillance of the incident, Adams replied, "I'd have to see the video. I don't think I did."

While Cordova was on the phone with the shop owner, Adams allegedly said twice that he would "pay the damages to make the charges go away," according to charging documents.

Adams' initial court appearance is scheduled for Monday.





Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus