This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2012, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.
Selected Tweets from the Television Critics Association press tour in Beverly Hills, Calif. - and a few additional comments - from Thursday, July 26.
• Lack of Twitter prevented snarky tweets during #ABCNews session. VERY frustrating.
OMG, who would have thought I would become dependent on Twitter?!?!?
• After pontificating on credibility, #ABCNews prez Ben Sherwood sez Kelly Ripa, women of "The View" will sub for Robin Roberts.
You can't make that sort of thing up. It's just too weird.
• BTW, #ABCNews prez wanted to talk about #GMA being No. 1. Didn't want to talk about false report linking Colo. shooting/Tea Party.
Of course, critics kept asking about the latter, not the former.
• #KatIeCouric is here. They're showing a clip of celebrities praising her. And Katie sez she's not all the impressed with celebrities.
Sure. Bet she won't have any on her new daytime talk show, right?
• Katie Couric here without producer Jeff Zucker. Smart move, given that many critics (including me) blame Zucker for destroying NBC.
There's a reason we used to refer to Zucker as Zippy the Pinhead.
• Katie Couric sez a quarter of American adults are caring for an aging parent. Including my children. #HerniatedDisc #Ow!
One daughter had to help me get my shoes and socks on. Another daughter claimed I was "milking" it. Guess which one is out of the will?
• Couric would love to be in a Broadway musical. And go out with George Clooney.
Neither seems particularly likely.
• In her high-school musical, "Carnival," #KatieCouric cast as a deaf-mute. So maybe more chance of getting date with #GeorgeClooney.
Not much chance. But more chance.
• #KatieCouric sez it was "really hard for me to understand some of the vitriol that was unleashed" by viewers when she was at CBS.
It's easily explainable. There are still a lot of sexists out there.
• #KatieCouric has invited Mr. and Mrs. Obama, Mr. and Mrs. Romney, and Sarah Palin to appear on her show. No response yet.
• From my pal Bill Harris: Meanwhile, #SarahPalin has invited #KatieCouric to take a long walk off a short pier
Although I'm not sure. After showing up at a TCA party the other night, it seems clear that Palin is desperate for whatever attention she can get.
• #KatieCouric sez her "heart broke" over the whole #AnnCurry debacle.
I hope she was sincere.
• Up next from #ABC, it's dinosaurs ... er, uh, #GeneralHospital, the network's last remaining daytime soap.
Like the dinosaurs, daytime soaps will soon be extinct.
• I have nothing against soaps. Used to watch #GeneralHospital. But they're like any other show - low ratings+high costs=cancellation.
And yet ask the remaining soap fans and they'll tell you cancellations are some sort of plot.
• First question for #GeneralHospital - would they take Genie Francis back? Answer: We're set without her.
Really? You do get that Luke and Laura were hot 30 years ago, right?
• Tony Geary acknowledges that #GeneralHospital was on "death row."
It's gotten a reprieve, but its days still seem numbered.
• Critics wondering if Utah native #TonyGeary's pants are mustard-colored or gold. It's what we do.
• #TonyGeary pants update. One critic is describing them as yellow.
• From my friend Mary McNamara: @ScottDPierce mustard. #AnthonyGearyPants #GH
I thought they were mustard, too. But I'm sort of color blind. Color blind or not, those pants made some sort of bright statement.
• From my friend Todd VanDerWerff: If I could look like Anthony Geary in 30 years, I would be a much happier, much more terrifying man.
Whether Geary is happy, I don't know. But he does look sort of terrifying.
• Who watches #GeneralHospital? "Anybody who works at night, like a hooker," Tony Geary sez. "I'm very big with hookers."
• Steve Burton sez that in 1991, #GeneralHospital shots 21 scenes a day. Yesterday, they shot 78 scenes. Wow.
• Should be pointed out that #GeneralHospital producer also makes the point that scenes are shorter than they were in 1991.
Still, things are moving fast.
• Just left set of #Revenge. Love that show! Big things coming this season.
OMG, the set of the Grayson house is cool! And I had a great time interview cast members and the producer.
• Great to hear #Revenge creator/producer Mike Kelley say he wants people to remember it's a TV show and have fun.
I wish more people who make TV - and more TV critics - would remember that. This is supposed to be fun.