Home » News
Home » News

Gunman caught after manhunt in southeast Salt Lake City

Published August 31, 2012 1:32 pm
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2012, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

After a three-hour search, police caught up to a suspicious man who had possibly brandished a handgun in a southeast Salt Lake City neighborhood early Friday afternoon.

A 911 call about the man brought out about 15 officers, with two dog teams, to secure an area around 900 East Logan Avenue (1610 South) at 1:20 p.m., said Salt Lake City police Detective Josh Ashdown.

The incident began at 11:30 a.m. when a report came in that the suspect had threatened someone with the gun. Officers located the suspect and attempted to arrest him, but he got away during a struggle and foot chase.

Police set up a search containment area but called off the effort at 2 p.m. without results. They went back to where the man was first sighted and, working from there, found him hiding in a nearby backyard at about 4:30 p.m., said Lt. Brian Purvis.

At that point the 29-year-old suspect gave up without incident, Purvis said.

Police took the man into custody, but did not immediately identify him because as of Friday evening they had not been able to confirm his identity.






Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus