This is an archived article that was published on in 2012, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

A 30-year-old Layton man who was shot by a police officer in August is now facing criminal charges.

Joshua Robert Isakson was charged in 2nd District Court Tuesday with attempted criminal homicide and aggravated kidnapping, both first degree felonies, along with misdemeanor assault charges and interfering with police.

A Layton police officer fired three shots at Isakson on Aug. 28, hitting him twice, after the officer responded to Isakson's home on a domestic violence call, and was assaulted by Isakson.

The officer was treated for blunt force trauma to the neck and head, according to a probable cause affidavit.

The unnamed uniformed officer went to Isakson's home, near 500 East Miller Ave., after a 911 call indicated that a woman was being beat up by her boyfriend, and that the caller felt the man may kill the victim.

After the officer entered the home, Isakson allegedly assaulted the officer in the hallway and living room area. In what prosecutors called a "surprise cowardly attack," Isakson beat the officer until the officer fired the three shots before losing consciousness.

According to court documents, a witness told police that Isakson intended to kill the officer, and repeatedly said, "I'm going to kill you, mother f——— cop."

Two other officers then rushed in and cuffed Isakson, who was taken to McKay-Dee Hospital for treatment of the gunshot wounds. He had been at the hospital up until his arrest Tuesday.

Isakson's mother told investigators that she believed her son was going to kill the police officer. According to court documents, she told the officers, "Oh yeah, he [Isakson] was just going at him."

Three victims told police that they were assaulted by Isakson before the officer arrived, two of which were living with Isakson. One of the victims told police that she was taken against her will to another home on the same block, while Isakson "terrorized the victim through the use of physical force," court documents state.

Isakson made his initial appearance in court Wednesday. He waived his preliminary hearing, and was scheduled for arraignment on Sept. 27. He is currently being held without bail at the Davis County jail.

Twitter: @jm_miller

comments powered by Disqus