This is an archived article that was published on in 2012, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Occupants of an east Salt Lake City condominium complex were allowed to return to their homes late Wednesday night, a full day after dangerous levels of carbon monoxide forced evacuation.

Les Koch, manager of Salt Lake City Building Services, said the source of the gas was determined to be a faulty garage ventilation system.

"Exhaust fans in the garage have been repaired and the condominiums [were] restored to occupancy Wednesday night," Koch said.

Salt Lake City Fire Department spokesman Jasen Asay said no injuries were reported from what he described as "unhealthy high levels of carbon monoxide" detected at 159 E., 800 South, about 7:20 p.m. Tuesday.

Firefighters evacuated all 14 units in the complex. A total of 17 occupants were displaced.

An alarm system initially detected the gas, after which residents called 911. The displaced condo dwellers reportedly were able to find temporary shelter with friends and relatives.

comments powered by Disqus