A Box Elder County rancher lost 24 cows to a poisonous weed, the Box Elder County Sheriff's Office said.
Det. Cordell Thompson said laboratory tests on the animals, completed earlier this week, determined they died after eating halogeten, an invasive weed common throughout the West. Thompson said the rancher had recently relocated the cows from Idaho to grazing land in Promontory. They had been grazing the land for about a week when they began to sicken and die.
Halogeten is extremely toxic for sheep, which can die within an hour after eating the plant, according to a Utah State University website on noxious weeds. Cattle are also susceptible but don't die as quickly and can actually tolerate the plant if they are exposed to it gradually.