This is an archived article that was published on in 2012, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Two women were injured, two guns discharged and two allegedly intoxicated men arrested overnight after two separate standoffs in Roy.

Roy police Chief Greg Whinham said the first standoff started about 10:30 p.m. Saturday when officers responded to a home near 3800 West and 4750 South on a report that a 41-year-old man was firing a gun.

When officers arrived, he said, they found the man's wife had been shot multiple times in the lower body, apparently as she was attempting to flee the home.

Another woman was hit in the head by a flying bottle during the dispute, suffering a cut to her head that required stitches at a local hospital, he said. He said the husband, who was allegedly under the influence of alcohol, apparently tried to hit his wife with the bottle but missed, striking the other woman instead.

Whinham said while the man was firing his gun, he also shot a home across the street at least once. Though residents were home at the time, everyone there escaped injury, he said.

He said the man refused to come out of his house for about two hours, but negotiators talked him into surrendering about 12:40 a.m.

Whinham said the man's wife was expected to survive. The woman injured by the bottle was treated at a hospital and released.

Police arrested the man on suspicion of attempted homicide and several other charges.

The couple's 5-year-old son, who was home at the time, was not injured.

Then at about 3 a.m., Whinham said police were called to another home on reports that a shot had been fired.

When they arrived, he said, officers encountered people fleeing the home, but no one had been injured.

He said a 38-year-old man under the influence of alcohol had gotten into a family dispute and apparently decided to get a gun to injure himself. As people struggled over the gun, Whinham said, it accidentally fired a bullet through the floor.

Whinham said the man surrendered to police about 30 minutes after officers arrived.

No one was injured. Whinham said the man was arrested on suspicion of using a dangerous weapon in a threat or quarrel and reckless endangerment.

Twitter: @sltribjanelle

comments powered by Disqus