Home » News
Home » News

Smithfield fire sparked by heat gun used to thaw pipes

Published January 3, 2013 4:41 pm
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

An attempt to thaw pipes on Thursday morning sparked a fire in Smithfield.

About 10:46 a.m., firefighters from Smithfield, North Logan, Logan and Cache County responded to a fire at a trailer home at 610 W. 100 North. The first ones on scene reported smoke and flames coming from the mobile home, according to a news release.

The fire started in a small utility closet that housed the water heater and furnace, Smithfield Fire Chief Jay Downs said in a statement. The fire spread into the adjacent bedroom and bathroom before firefighters had it under control.

Investigators found that a heat gun — normally used to remove paint and decals — was instead being used to thaw pipes, sparking the fire.

The fire caused about $30,000 damage. No one was hurt.

Smithfield Fire Battalion Chief Mike Weibel added in a statement that people should remember not to leave portable heating devices unattended.

mmcfall@sltrib.comTwitter: @mikeypanda




Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus