This is an archived article that was published on in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

A 37-year-old man accused of exchanging gunfire with Davis County sheriff's deputies was additionally charged Tuesday with firing shots last month at civilian drivers along Interstate 215 in Salt Lake County.

Marco Antonio Guizar, who remains in the Davis County jail, was charged in 3rd District Court with 21 felonies: two counts of first-degree felony attempted murder, second-degree felony use of a firearm by a restricted person and 18 counts of third-degree felony discharge of a firearm.

Guizar was arrested last month following a high-speed chase and shootout on Legacy Highway in Farmington.

In that case, he was charged in 2nd District Court with first-degree felony aggravated attempted murder, second-degree felony aggravated assault, and third-degree felony failure to stop for police, in addition to several misdemeanor counts of possession of a dangerous weapon with intent to assault, and interference with an arresting officer.

On Jan. 15, a driver on I-215 near 3500 South told police that a man in a Toyota Camry with Texas license plates had pointed a black handgun at his vehicle and fired three times, according to charging documents.

Utah Department of Public Safety officers later found three bullets on the driver's side of that car.

The next day, Guizar fired several shots at another vehicle, the documents state.

The driver of the car told investigators that the driver of a Toyota Camry with Texas plates turned and fired at him while driving on I-215 near 1000 West. Later, 15 bullet holes were discovered.

Hours later, authorities said, Guizar shot at a vehicle on Legacy Highway, exited into Farmington and fled from a Davis County deputy who attempted to stop him.

For about five minutes he evaded police by driving through a residential neighborhood to 650 West and State Street where he purposely crashed his car into another vehicle occupied by two youths, the documents state.

After the crash, he grabbed his handgun and fired at least two rounds at a Farmington detective, officials said.

Officers returned fire. No one was injured. A .40-caliber Glock handgun was later found in Guizar's vehicle.

Police said when they interviewed Guizar he admitted he had shot at vehicles in Salt Lake County before the chase through Farmington.

Utah Highway Patrol troopers said they were working with Salt Lake City police to see if Guizar may also be involved in a similar shooting on 1200 West near 650 North in Salt Lake City on the night of Jan. 12.

No one was injured in any of the shootings.

Guizar remains behind bars in lieu of $1 million bond. He was also put on a detention order issued by the Federal Immigration and Naturalization Service.

Guizar is scheduled to appear Friday in 3rd District Court on the 21 most recent charges.

Twitter: marissa_jae

comments powered by Disqus