This is an archived article that was published on in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Just three days before three people were gunned down inside a Midvale home, Davis Romney Fotu allegedly beat up and pointed a gun at a motel clerk who asked him to leave.

Unified police Lt. Justin Hoyal said Tuesday that detectives suspect the 33-year-old Riverton man was the second — and previously unnamed — person involved in the Feb. 12 triple homicide at 8286 S. Adams St. (450 West), and police are asking the public's help in locating him.

"We are still trying to determine exactly what his role is in the [homicide]," Hoyal said.

Omar Paul Jarman, 35, Shontay Nichole Young, 34, and Danielle Lucero, 26, were killed, and a fourth person was seriously injured, when David Fresques, 25, an ex-con with gang ties and a violent criminal history, allegedly went room-to-room gunning down victims at the home.

Fresques was arrested Feb. 13. The weapon in the case has not been recovered, police said.

Hoyal said detectives identified Fotu through the course of their investigation.

Salt Lake City police had the most recent run-in with Fotu after they were called Feb. 9 to Colonial Village Motel, 1530 S. Main Street, Salt Lake City, after the motel manager asked Fotu and another man to leave the property, as they did not have a room there.

The trio briefly exchanged words, then Fotu and the other man, who hasn't been identified, began punching the manager in the face and body. They knocked him to the ground and began kicking and stomping him on the head, according to charging documents filed Friday in 3rd District Court.

During the assault, police allege Fotu pulled out a handgun and pointed it at the manager's face.

"You disrespected me by yelling at me, I'll shoot you if you call police," Fotu allegedly told the man.

When police arrived, they found Fotu inside a motel room. He told officers he had come to the motel to buy marijuana, according to charging documents. Police said he admitted to assaulting the manager, but denied pointing a gun at him, although he did admit he had a "black piece" in his hand, according to charging documents.

Fotu was arrested that day, but bailed out of jail Feb. 11 — the day before the three homicides occurred.

He was charged Feb. 15 in 3rd District Court with third-degree felony counts of aggravated assault and retaliation against a witness, victim or informant.

Fotu's criminal history began in 1998, when he pleaded guilty to third-degree felony counts of aggravated assault, attempted theft and criminal mischief and was sent to prison for up to five years.

In 2001, Fotu pleaded guilty to third-degree felony attempted burglary and went to prison for up to five years. Also in 2001, he pleaded guilty in federal court to being a felon in possession of a firearm, for which he was sentenced to a consecutive prison term of 77 months.

In 2009 and 2010, Fotu pleaded guilty Salt Lake area justice courts to misdemeanor counts of driving under the influence.

In 2011, federal authorities alleged Fotu had violated his parole with the 2010 DUI conviction. Fotu later admitted violating parole and was sentenced to another 12 months behind bars, according to court records.

Anyone with information about Fotu should call police at 801-743-5851.

Twitter @sltribjanelle

comments powered by Disqus