Home » News
Home » News

Fire caused $25k in damage to Utah State University lab

Published February 27, 2013 10:50 am
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Fire broke out in a Utah State University laboratory, but a quickly activated flame suppression sprinkler system kept damage at a minimum.

Logan Fire Marshal Craig Humphreys said the fire broke out at 8:12 p.m. Tuesday in the basement lab at the school's College of Agriculture Building, 510 North 900 East. Smoke was pouring from the lab when fire crews arrived.

No students or faculty were in the building at the time, and the sprinkler system kept the fire contained to a single room, Humphreys said Wednesday.

Damages were estimated at $25,000.

The Utah State Fire Marshal's Office determined the cause to be accidental with the blaze ignited by combustible material that had been placed too close to a heater.


Twitter: @remims




Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus