Home » News
Home » News

'Explosion' report at St. George hotel turns out minor

Published March 26, 2013 10:02 am
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Police and firefighters rushed to the scene of what was initially reported as an explosion at a St. George hotel late Tuesday morning.

However, St. George police Sgt. Sam Despain said there had been no big blast, as feared, just a smaller, unspecified bang — perhaps involving a minor natural gas leak — in the kitchen of the Lexington Hotel, 850 S. Bluff Street, about 8 a.m.

"A maintenance worker was doing work in the kitchen. Apparently there was a gas leak in the wall which was ignited," Despain said.

The wall sustained some damage, but there was no comprising of the building's structure.

A female employee was in the kitchen at the time of the incident, which remained under investigation. She was examined and treated at the scene for minor injuries.

"There was no fire involved," Despain said.


Twitter: @remims




Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus