Home » News
Home » News

Elderly women, pet dog escape Millcreek fire unharmed

Published March 28, 2013 9:49 am
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Utah Red Cross workers were providing temporary shelter, food and clothing to two elderly women after an early Thursday morning fire damaged their Millcreek home.

Unified Fire Capt. Clint Mecham said the 8:13 a.m. blaze at 4312 S. 615 East is believed to have been caused by a malfunctioning freezer located in the home's kitchen.

The women, one in her 90s and the other in her 70s, called 911 when they saw smoke billowing from the kitchen. Firefighters arrived within four minutes and safely evacuated the women and their pet dog from the residence.

No injuries were reported.

Crews extinguished the flames by 8:32 a.m., but in doing so had to remove sections of sheetrock walls and ceiling. Smoke and water also added to damage, which was not immediately given a dollar value but was sufficient to render the home temporarily uninhabitable.


Twitter: @remims




Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus