Jake Tullis secured the title in his victory over Alta's Andy Ovard, 6-4, 6-1. Jake shook off wide shots and refocused on fundamentals. He served with confidence and was able to return Ovard's powerful returns. Called the silent winner by Vikings coach Mark Burningham, Jake credited his brother for getting him ready.
"He's a great practice partner," Jake said about brother Sam. "He's taught me to forget about bad points and keep fighting along. It came together great today super intense and fun."
Older brother Sam was able to earn his second straight No. 1 singles state title against Cottonwood's Zeke Richards. Sam, who played with high emotions, grunted through a first-set tiebreaker before downing Richards in the second.
"It was rough," Sam said. "Zeke came out on fire, and it took everything I had to beat him. I felt like I needed my emotions with me or I'd never find them."
Brighton freshman Chase Stoner won the No. 3 singles by beating Alta's Connor Pulsipher, 6-1, 6-2.
Brighton swept the doubles against Viewmont.
Brighton's Anthony Panuzio and Mitch Mansell took center stage before a raucous crowd during the third set in the No. 1 doubles title match. The pair of southpaws served shots with enough english to befuddle Ethan Hymas and Isaac Ford. Mansell, a freshman, handled his business defending the net while Panuzio, a sophomore, attacked every ball.
"Today was great," Mansell said. "It feels like everything you've worked for come true. I couldn't be more excited right now."
Brandon Budge and Cheyenne Perry won the No. 2 doubles title to help Brighton finish second, while Alta took third.
Storylines Viewmont ends Brighton's reign
R Viewmont wins the state title at Nos. 1 and 2 singles to help end Brighton's seven-year run as champs. Class 5A state tennis
Team scoring • Viewmont 22, Brighton 19, Alta 11, Lone Peak 7, Davis 5, Cottonwood 4, Hunter 3, Layton 3, Pleasant Grove 3, West 3, Lehi 2, Riverton 2, Weber 2, American Fork 1, Bingham 1, Jordan 1, Northridge 1
No. 1 singles
• Sam Tullis, Viewmont, def. Colton McBride, Weber, 6-2, 6-0
• Zeke Richards, Cottonwood, def. Brocton Andrus, Lone Peak, 5-7, 6-1, 7-6 (8-6)
• Tullis def. Richards 7-6 (7-2), 6-4
No. 2 singles
• Jake Tullis, Viewmont, def. Jake Harris, Pleasant Grove, 6-2, 6-3
• Andy Ovard, Alta, def. McKay Luu, Lehi, 6-3, 6-1
Tullis def. Ovard 6-4, 6-1
No. 3 singles
• Chase Stoner, Brighton, def. Nic LeBaron, Viewmont, 6-2, 6-4
• Connor Pulsipher, Alta, def. Derek Schetselaar, Lone Peak, 6-3, 6-3
• Stoner def. Pulsipher 6-1, 6-2
No. 1 doubles
• Ethan Hymas/Isaac Ford, Viewmont, def. Cooper Brown/Michael vonBallmoos, Davis, 2-6, 6-3, 6-4
• Anthony Panuzio/Mitchell Mansell, Brighton, def. Parker Howell/Ty Burke, Riverton, 6-3, 6-4
• Panuzio/Mansell def. Hymas/Ford 4-6, 7-6 (7-4), 6-4
No. 2 doubles
• Zach Beckstrand/Brandon Kasparian, Viewmont, def. David West/Jordan Branch, Alta, 6-2, 4-6, 6-1
• Brandon Budge/Cheyenne Perry, Brighton, def. Matt Zwick/Lucas Wale, Lone Peak, 6-2, 4-6, 6-4
• Budge/Perry def. Beckstrand/Kasparian 6-2, 6-2