This is an archived article that was published on in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Farmington • Marco Antonio Guizar said he was hoping to die on Jan. 16 when he shot at cars driving on Legacy Parkway — but he wanted police to kill him.

During his sentencing hearing Thursday in Farmington's 2nd District Court, Guizar admitted that he shot at cars and engaged in a shootout with Davis County sheriff's deputies because he wanted to be shot.

"My object was for them [police] to kill me," a shackled Guizar told Judge Thomas Kay. "I put them in a situation — it would be hard to live with that on their conscience … I would just like to apologize to anyone I hurt or put in danger."

Guizar, 38, of Taylorsville, was charged with first-degree felony aggravated attempted murder; three counts of second-degree felony aggravated assault; third-degree felony failure to stop for police; and misdemeanor counts of possession of a dangerous weapon with intent to assault and interference with an arresting officer.

He later pleaded guilty to one count each of first-degree felony attempted aggravated murder, second-degree felony aggravated assault and third-degree felony failure to stop.

On Thursday, Kay ordered Guizar to serve five years to life on the first charge, one to 15 years on the second and zero to five years on the last — all to run concurrently.

Guizar's attorney, Richard Gallegos, asked the judge for the concurrent sentence, and also asked for drug treatment for the man, who he said was under the influence of illicit drugs at the time of the shooting.

"A lot of officers were exposed to a very dangerous situation, and even the public," Gallegos said. "We're not making any excuses."

Prosecutor Jason Nelson did not give a sentence recommendation to the judge, saying that the state agreed to be silent on that point as part of the plea deal with Guizar.

Events began when Guizar shot at a vehicle on Legacy Highway while traveling north in a blue Toyota with Texas plates, according to charging documents.

He then exited the parkway in Farmington where a Davis County deputy attempted to stop him. He evaded police for about five minutes while driving through a residential area before purposely crashing his car into another vehicle occupied by two juveniles near 650 West and State Street, charging documents state.

After crashing into the youths' vehicle, Guizar grabbed his handgun and fired at least two rounds at a Farmington detective who was approaching, according to charges. Officers returned fire, but no one was injured. A .40-caliber Glock handgun was found in Guizar's vehicle.

Police said when they interviewed Guizar he admitted he had shot at vehicles in Salt Lake County before that night's incident, according to charges. Twenty-five felony charges have since been filed against Guizar by Salt Lake County prosecutors in 3rd District Court.

He is scheduled to be in Salt Lake City's courthouse in June for a scheduling hearing.

comments powered by Disqus