No people were injured, Asay said. A pet snake was rescued and one cat was found unconscious and barely breathing; it was revived at the scene with a specialty oxygen mask.
The cause of the blaze was ruled accidental, according to a fire department news release.
A worker renovating one of the units said he accidentally started a small fire as he was soldering pipes in the bathroom. He thought he had extinguished the fire, but 30 minutes later it started up again and became to large to extinguish. He left the building after calling 911.
No damage estimates were immediately available, but Asay said two of the units sustained fire losses and the others had smoke and water damage.
The Red Cross was assisting residents with shelter, food and clothing needs.