Home » News
Home » News

Fire at Mount Ogden Junior High School quickly doused

Published June 11, 2013 11:19 am
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Ogden firefighters quickly doused a fire late Tuesday morning at the Mount Ogden Junior High School. No injuries were reported.

Deputy Fire Chief Eric Bauman said the blaze was called in about 10 a.m. at 3260 Harrison Boulevard, where construction crews had been using a floor stripping chemical. An electrical cord suddenly sparked, igniting the flammable agent.

By 10:45 a.m., the blaze had been extinguished and crews were using fans to clear smoke from the scene.

No classes were being held at the time and five student custodians safely evacuated the building on their own.

The flames were contained to the area where floor stripping work was under way, in the cafeteria, Bauman said.

Damage was estimated in excess of $50,000.

The fire was being jointly investigated by the Ogden City Fire Marshal's Office and the Utah State Fire Marshal's office.


Twitter: @remims




Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus