Home » News
Home » News

IRS: Tax tips for newlyweds

Published July 3, 2013 3:42 pm
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Summer brides and grooms, here's a reality check to your wedded bliss: Changing your marital status can affect your taxes.

As a result, the Internal Revenue Service reminds newlyweds of the following:

Name changes • If you're changing your legal name after marriage, you need to notify the Social Security Administration because tax returns must reflect up-to-date SSA records. You can file Form SS-5 at SSA.gov, call 800-772-1213 or visit a local SSA office to make the adjustment.

Address changes • If you're moving, contact the U.S. Postal Service and file Form 8822 with the IRS. You'll also want to let your employer know so they can mail your W-2 form to the right address at the first of the year.

Tax withholdings • If you both work, your combined income may push you into a higher tax bracket, so you may want to adjust your withholdings. The IRS has an online withholding calculator tool to help you do this.

Deductions • Marriage could qualify you for tax deductions that could translate into savings, so look into itemizing your taxes. One down side: You can't use the simpler tax forms — 1040A or 1040EZ — if you itemize.

The IRS also noted it is reviewing the recent Supreme Court decision on the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) and will send revised guidance soon.

More information is available at irs.gov.




Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus