Name • St. George
Location • Southwestern Utah
History • St. George is named after Mormon apostle George A. Smith, known as the Potato Saint because he urged settlers to eat raw potatoes to prevent scurvy. According to www.Utahsdixie.com, Mormon leaders sent 309 families to St. George in 1861 to grow cotton. St. George became the Washington County seat in 1863. Its Mormon temple, dedicated in 1877, is the longest continuously operated LDS temple in the world. Dixie Academy, established in 1911, was precursor to today's Dixie State University.