Home » News
Home » News

Search warrant reveals new details in Murray teen shootings

Published October 17, 2013 7:15 am

Crime • Andrew Nelson, Ashton Peck were shot inside a Murray home in September.
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Though Murray police are still waiting for ballistic reports to help them piece together what prompted the shooting deaths of two teens, search warrants made public this week reveal a few more details about how Andrew Nelson and Ashton Peck died.

Nelson, 15, and Peck, 13, were both found injured with single gunshot wounds at Nelson's home at 859 W. Potomac on Sept. 7.

The two boys were spending Saturday evening together when Nelson's mother and stepfather — Tammy and Jack Bridwell — went out for no more than an hour Saturday night, leaving both boys home alone. When they came back about 7:25 p.m., they found both boys lying shot in different parts of the house. According to a search warrant affidavit filed in 3rd District Court, Peck was found inside the entryway of the home with a gunshot wound to the chest and face. After finding the 13-year-old's body, Jack Bridwell followed a trail of blood to a back bedroom, where he found his stepson with a gunshot wound to the head, according to the affidavit.

No one else was home when the boys died.

Nelson's parents tried fruitlessly to revive the teens, but Peck was already dead. Nelson was transported to an area hospital where he died the next day.

Police are unsure of what prompted the shootings, but believe no one else was involved in the teens' death. Detective Jeff Maglish said shortly after the shooting that police are hoping ballistic evidence may piece together the last moments of the boys' lives. On Tuesday, he said they are still waiting for those reports.

Maglish said after the shooting that police are exploring whether the shooting might have been a murder-suicide, a suicide pact or possibly an accidental shooting that turned into something far worse.


Twitter: @jm_miller




Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus