Home » News
Home » News

Brit mysteriously dies after opening Pandora's Box

Published November 14, 2013 9:30 am
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

A British man died earlier this year after opening Pandora's Box — and no one knows why.

Last May, Jason Airey's parents found him face down, clammy and blue in his bedroom with a box, inscribed with "Pandora's box" in red letters, next to him, according to News and Star. A post mortem showed the 37-year-old's heart had stopped beating, causing multiple organ failure, the British newspaper adds.

According to Greek myth, Pandora's Box contains all the evils in the world. This one had a packet of unused synthetic cannabis, though no trace of drugs were found in Airey's system. Airey's father told the News and Star that Airey swore off drugs after a bad ecstasy trip 13 years ago.

"His heart stopping caused the death of his brain which caused multiple organ failure," Coroner Robert Chapman told the newspaper. "We don't really know what caused his heart to stop. … There is a possibility that he had a fatal cardiac arrhythmia – a change in his heartbeat."

— Michael McFall




Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus