Quantcast
Home » News
Home » News

5 Americans killed in Philippines typhoon

Published November 19, 2013 9:47 am
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Washington • U.S. officials say five Americans have died in Philippines' Typhoon Haiyan (HY-ahn) and hundreds of other Americans have received assistance.

Testifying before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, the State Department's Scot Marciel provided the updated U.S. death toll.

He said Tuesday U.S. officials have received more than 1,000 calls seeking information about Americans. About 475 people have been located.



The White House says the U.S. is now providing $37 million in humanitarian aid to victims of the deadly Nov. 8 storm. That's almost double what the U.S. has previously announced.

The typhoon was among the strongest on record. It killed or has left missing more than 5,000 people and displaced an estimated 4 million people. A major international relief mission is under way to help survivors.

 

 

 

USER COMMENTS
Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus