Kellogg knew after the 19th-ranked Lobos' double-overtime, drama-filled victory over UAB in the Charleston Classic opener Thursday that his semifinal opponents would likely not have the legs to withstand his team's up-tempo pace late in the game.
"Their stamina was a little bit better than I anticipated or expected," he said. "Both teams played really hard. But once that run came, we were going to take advantage of it."
Not only did Williams strike for a team-high in points, he had five rebounds, five assists and a steal. He also played effective defense on New Mexico's high-scoring guard Kendall Williams, who was held to 13 points after going for 29 in the UAB win a day earlier.
No. 14 Michigan 82, Florida State 80 (OT) • At San Juan, Puerto Rico, Nik Stauskas scored 26 points, including seven in overtime, as Michigan erased a 16-point second-half deficit to beat Florida State in the Puerto Rico Tip-Off.
Derrick Walton Jr. added 15 points and Mitch McGary had 14 points and 12 rebounds.
• No. 1 Michigan State 96,Virginia Tech 77
• No. 2 Kansas 88, Towson 58
• No. 10 VCU 73, Long Beach State 67
• No. 14 Michigan 82, Florida State 80 (OT)
• No. 18 Connecticut 59, Indiana 58
• Massachusetts 81, No. 19 New Mexico 65
• No. 22 UCLA vs. Morehead State, late