On Jan. 7, 1889, almost exactly seven years before Utah became a state, Weber Stake Academy opened its doors. The institution served nearly 200 students during its first academic year. Now, 125 years later, Weber State University serves more than 25,000 students.
Over its long history, WSU has witnessed and experienced many other changes. For instance, its name changed from Weber Stake Academy to Weber Academy, to Weber Normal College, to Weber College, to Weber State College, to Weber State University. In the early 1960s, its campus moved from downtown Ogden to its current location on Harrison Boulevard. In 2003, WSU opened its Davis campus in Layton, where a new classroom building was dedicated in 2013. Students who attend college at WSU Davis can take a variety of general courses or earn a degree in any one of 17 programs.
One thing hasn't changed, however: WSU's commitment to teaching excellence. Our faculty members also engage in excellent research and scholarship, but great teaching remains our top priority.