This is an archived article that was published on in 2014, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Moraga, Calif. • It might have been the earliest jersey retirement in college basketball history.

Saint Mary's retired the number of former standout guard Matthew Dellavedova in a pregame ceremony before Saturday night's 60-57 loss to BYU, less than a year after the Australian played his final game for the Gaels.

The first 1,000 Saint Mary's fans into the building received blue T-shirts with Dellavedova's No. 4 on them, and the Gaels wore them when they warmed up before the game.

Now with the NBA's Cleveland Cavaliers, Dellavedova is SMC's all-time scoring leader. He's off this weekend due to the NBA All-Star Game.

"This is a huge honor. … I am very humbled and privileged to have this happen to me," Dellavedova told the crowd, which stood and chanted "Delly, Delly" before his speech.

BYU fans most know him as the player who made the buzzer-beating, running 3-pointer in last year's 70-69 win in Provo.

"Yeah, I heard that. That's quick. They do it quick," BYU's Tyler Haws said Thursday night when he was asked about it after the 89-82 loss to Pacific.


Maybe the Cougars talked too much about keeping their inside players out of foul trouble before Saturday's game.

Because just the opposite happened.

Eric Mika picked up a foul just 15 seconds into the game, then got his second one about a minute later and headed to the bench. He scored just two points in the first half, and played just five minutes. He picked up a third foul shortly after a two-handed slam dunk with 4:09 left in the half.

Nate Austin picked up his second foul with 11:27 left in the half and also headed to the bench. He played just nine minutes in the first half, and didn't score.

Luke Worthington also had two first-half fouls. The Cougars were outrebounded 20-15 in the first half.


BYU's Kyle Collinsworth hit the floor hard after a midair collision with Stephen Holt and was taken to the locker room with six minutes remaining in the half.

comments powered by Disqus