Quantcast
Home » News
Home » News

Laser sparks Utah wood shop fire

Published February 22, 2014 7:22 pm
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2014, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Investigators suspect an unattended laser torched a Box Elder County wood shop.

A family ran the wood-etching business in a shop next to their house in Beaver Dam, a remote and unincorporated community. The laser runs automatically, so they left the shop for a bit Friday — only to return and find the laser had sparked a fire just after 2 p.m., said Box Elder County Fire Marshal Corey Barton.

Twenty-six firefighters from five departments arrived to find the shop engulfed, so their priority turned to protecting the house, Barton said. The shop was a loss, but the house only suffered some melted siding.



Barton estimated the financial loss at $100,000. No one was hurt.

mmcfall@sltrib.com

Twitter: @mikeypanda

 

 

 

USER COMMENTS
Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus