This is an archived article that was published on in 2014, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

A backyard barbecue in Tooele County sparked a house fire Sunday night that has left a family of four homeless.

Dispatch was alerted to the structure fire at 6270 Burmester Road in a rural area at about 6:30 p.m. Firefighters arrived on the scene to find the entire house in flames, said Ryan Willden, a spokesman for the North Tooele County Fire District.

"The home was a total loss," Willden said.

As they battled the flames, firefighters from Grantsville City and the North Tooele County Fire District were forced to send large trucks back to Grantsville to refill on water.

"We don't have fire hydrants out in that area," Willden said. "In rural areas, that's always a challenge, getting enough water to fight the fire."

Firefighters were able to knock down the fire before it could cut across nearby brush and spread to other homes, Willden said.

A father and his daughter were inside watching TV when the fire ignited. The father reported seeing a bright light glowing through the sliding glass door. He ran outside to find the grill and the side of his house on fire.

After ensuring his daughter was safe outside the house, the father ran around to the back of his house to try to extinguish the fire. But when a propane tank in the path of the fire exploded, the fire quickly spread to the rest of the home, Willden said.

"It's that time of year where people are out and having campfires and grilling. Obviously, if you're grilling, keep a close eye on it," Willden said.

The family of four spent Sunday night with family in Magna and have received aid from the Utah Red Cross.

Twitter: @Harry_Stevens

comments powered by Disqus