This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2014, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.
A man who barricaded himself in a Magna home is now in custody after a stand-off with SWAT team members Friday afternoon.
The 30-year-old man has eight outstanding arrest warrants for misdemeanors and felonies stemming from drug and weapons possessions, obstructing justice and resisting arrest, said Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal.
A police officer tried to arrest the man about 2:30 p.m. at his home at 2778 S. Cyprus Grove Circle; but the man raced into his house, leaving his 8-year-old son in the front yard, Hoyal said. Shortly before 7 p.m., a tweet from the department announced he had been taken into custody.
Police had set up a containment around the house but were loathe to engage the man, because he has a history of weapons violations, Hoyal said.
SWAT was called in about 3:30 p.m.
By shortly after 4 p.m., about a dozen SWAT team members had arrived outside the house and were preparing to begin negotiating with the man to get him to surrender, Hoyal said.
After calling to the man, the SWAT team set off a flash bang on the front porch of the house "to get their attention," said UPD Detective Ken Hansen.
By 5 p.m., two men had exited the house and were being questioned by police, but the suspect remained inside.
"We're just trying to do it as peacefully as we can, just trying to get him to come out," Hansen said at the time.
Neither officers nor the suspect were hurt by the time he was taken into custody, UPD reported in a tweet.
The Tribune will update this story as it progresses.
Reporter Michael McFall contributed to this story.