Quantcast
Home » News
Home » News

Qantas Airways posts $2.6 billion loss for year

Published August 28, 2014 10:37 am

Earnings • Airline is separating domestic operations from troubled global business.
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2014, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Sydney • Qantas Airways Ltd. on Thursday posted a record $2.6 billion loss, reflecting a profit-draining battle with its smaller rival Virgin Australia and aircraft write downs.

The loss for the financial year ended June 30 is the largest the former state-owned airline has posted in its 94-year history. It made an $930 million profit in the previous year.

The dire result was expected. Shares of Qantas were up 7 percent in Sydney on the airline's confirmation it would separate its domestic and troubled international businesses. It will establish a company for the international business that will be able to attract new investors after an Australian law change eased limits on foreign investment in Qantas



The result included an $2.4 billion write down of the value of its aging international fleet of Boeing 747s and Airbus A380s, reflecting a weakened Australian dollar.

Excluding the write down and other one-off costs, Qantas made an underlying pre-tax loss of $594 million, compared to a $171 million underlying profit a year earlier.

Qantas chief executive Alan Joyce described the result as "confronting," but said the massive loss represented history.

"We have now come through the worst," he said in a statement.

"With our accelerated Qantas transformation program, we are already emerging as a leaner, more focused and more sustainable Qantas group," he said.

Joyce said the underlying loss for the latest year reflected higher fuel costs and growth in its passenger capacity outstripping demand.

Joyce forecast a profit in the first half of the current fiscal year.

The airline announced in February it would cut its employees by 5,000. So far it has shed 2,500 workers.

 

 

 

 

 

USER COMMENTS
Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus