A hero's fall: Honored for Trolley Square bravery, Hammond now an ex-cop

This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2009, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Ogden police officer Ken Hammond, called a hero for confronting Trolley Square gunman Sulejman Talovic in February 2007, resigned from the force Friday following accusations of having sex with a minor.

Hammond's resignation was announced Monday by the Ogden Police Department.

Court documents filed Dec. 29 allege Hammond had oral or anal sex with a 16- or 17-year-old girl on July 12, 2005. The unlawful sex charge is a third-degree felony punishable by up to five years in prison.

Hammond remains free pending a Jan. 27 appearance in 2nd District Court in Ogden. In an unrelated matter, a woman has sued Hammond and the police department in federal court for what she says was unnecessary force and sexual harassment by Hammond against her during a May arrest.

The 35-year-old Hammond was a seven-year veteran of the Ogden Police Department. He has been on paid leave since November.

Hammond was off duty and ending an early Valentine's Day dinner with his pregnant wife on Feb. 12, 2007, when Talovic began shooting shoppers and patrons.

Talovic killed five people and wounded four.

Hammond ran toward the sound of gunfire, drew his pistol, looked down from a second-floor balcony and saw Talovic standing on the promenade below holding a shotgun.

Talovic and Hammond exchanged gunfire. Soon after, Salt Lake City police officers arrived. A SWAT team shot and killed Talovic, but Hammond was credited with preventing Talovic from shooting more innocent people.

Hammond received accolades for heroism, including recognition as an Officer of the Month by the National Law Enforcement Memorial Fund and a nomination for "America's Most Wanted" television show's All-Star Award.

Neither Hammond nor his defense attorney was immediately available for comment on Monday.