Utah Jazz: Williams frustrated by Brewer trade

This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2010, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

A day after the Jazz traded his self-described "little brother," Deron Williams sharply questioned Friday the direction the team was going after the deal that sent Ronnie Brewer to Memphis for a protected first-round draft pick.

"I think if we'd make a trade it would be something a little different than that," Williams said at the pregame shootaround. "You look at all the teams that are getting better around the West and we essentially get worse, if you ask me."

Williams didn't hide his frustration in talking to reporters and broadcasts, starting out by saying, "I really ain't got nothing much good to say about the trade," and declaring it was "pretty safe to say" his feelings were shared among the team.

Asked whether the Brewer trade affected his thinking about his long-term future in Utah, Williams uttered words that could reverberate in the team's front office: "That's why I signed a three-year deal."

Williams never before has brought up the length of the contract extension he signed in July 2008 in such terms. Rather than opting for a full five-year extension, Williams signed a three-year deal with a player option for a fourth year, giving him an out from Utah.

With the deal completed just minutes before Thursday's 1 p.m. deadline, Brewer was pulled off the Jazz's flight. Williams said he had "two seconds" to say goodbye. "Probably one of the quietest flights we've had just because we were in shock," Williams said.

Brewer had been a full-time starter with the Jazz for three seasons. Rookie Wesley Matthews will step into the spot for tonight's game at Golden State.

The Jazz have won 15 of their last 17 games and climbed to third in the Western Conference. Williams was asked if he was concerned about the trade halting the momentum the Jazz have built over the past six weeks.

"Hopefully, not," Williams said. "We've just got to keep playing. It stinks that these things happen in the NBA. Like I said the other day, it doesn't really happen with us too much. We've just got to keep playing, keep winning."

Mehmet Okur, meanwhile, left the team after arriving in Oakland on Thursday and returned to Utah. His wife delivered their first son, Yigit Mehmet Okur, weighing 8 pounds and 2 ounces, this morning.