Milford man burned pouring fuel on fire

This is an archived article that was published on in 2010, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

A 38-year-old Milford man was burned over 60 percent of his body when a gas can he was using at a fire pit exploded.

Beaver County Sheriff Cameron M. Noel said Jason McDermott was in the backyard of his house in Milford with friends and family just after midnight Saturday when the fire in a fire pit started to die down.

To revive the fire, McDermott grabbed what he thought was a can with diesel fuel in it, but apparently it also contained some gasoline, said Noel.

When McDermott poured the fuel on the flames, vapors inside the can ignited and caused it to explode.

Noel said it took a couple of minutes for people to smother the flames and pour water on McDermott, who suffered third- and fourth-degree burns.

Noel said diesel fuel, while flammable, is not as volatile as gasoline.

McDermott was taken to the Milford Hospital and later flown to the burn unit at University Hospital in Salt Lake City where he remained Monday, according to a hospital spokeswoman.