Utah House approves college breaks for military

This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2012, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Members of armed forces reserve units and veterans from outside Utah could get a break on college tuition, under legislation that passed the House on Thursday.

HB124, sponsored by Rep. Curt Oda, R-Clearfield, would allow reservists who are assigned to Utah to pay in-state tuition. Military veterans who have been honorably discharged in the past year and taken steps to establish residency in Utah could also pay in-state tuition.

"We've got to get them back into the workforce, reduce unemployment rates and get them the education they need," Oda said.

HB124 passed unanimously and moves to the Senate. Utah's higher education institutions and veterans administration supported the bill.