This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2012, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.
At the Saturday farmers' market at Pioneer Park, the number of dogs that people bring has gotten out of hand. I see many unsuspecting customers stumble, drop their purchases and fall over the many taunt leashes. I even see some dog owners pulled down by their dogs.
Most of the dogs look miserable. They appear extremely hot and have difficulty avoiding the thousands of feet coming at them from every direction.
I wonder at the mind-set of these people who have neither the best interests of their dogs nor consideration for others trying to enjoy a Saturday morning unharassed by dogs. It's ironic how 20 percent of the people can ruin it for the other 80 percent.
It is better for everyone if the dogs stay home.
Joseph Harry Pendergrast
Salt Lake City