This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2012, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.
The Oct. 16 Opinion section reprinted a Washington Post editorial titled, "Obama has no policy to run on." Really?
• A firm date finally to exit Afghanistan?
• Further attempts to enact a paid-for jobs bill just like Republicans proposed and supported many times since World War II until they killed it a year ago?
• Enacting sensible and conservative tax reforms that, of course, Republicans will continue opposing en masse?
• Passing a deficit reduction plan that looks a lot like Simpson-Bowles (the grand bipartisan compromise involving defense cuts and entitlement and tax reform that Rep. Paul Ryan blames President Barack Obama for not promoting, when it was Ryan's vote on the commission that killed it)?
• Furthering green energy research and development and making America even more energy-independent than at any time in decades?
• Continuing health care reform that simultaneously decreases suffering and costs?
The problem is not that Obama lacks sound, reasonable and conservative policy proposals. It's that Republicans hate Obama more than they love America.