The Utah Division of Consumer Protection is urging Utahns to investigate charitable organizations claiming to assist victims of Hurricane Sandy before donating.
The division offered several safety tips to consumers:
• Donate only to charities with a track record and a history.
• Check out any organization. Phony charities often use names, seals and logos that look or sound like those of legitimate groups.
• Call the Utah Division of Consumer Protection at 801-530-6601 or visit www.consumerprotection.utah.gov to see whether a charity or fund raising organization is registered with the state.
• Don't send cash. For security and tax reasons, pay by check made payable to the charity.
• Ask for a receipt.
• Be wary of charities that promise guaranteed sweepstakes winnings in exchange for a contribution.