It's that time of year when you're getting the shopping done, putting up the tree and watching the traditional Christmas TV specials, such as "Rudolph," "Frosty," "The Grinch," and more.
But how well do you know your Christmas TV specials? Here's a little quiz to check your knowledge. (Answers on D9.)
1. Who provided the voice of the title character in "Olive, the Other Reindeer"?
A. Kate Hudson
B. Drew Barrymore
C. Reese Witherspoon
D. Brittany Murphy
2. What is the most-watched TV Christmas special of all time?
A. "Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer"
B. "How the Grinch Stole Christmas"
C. "The Bob Hope Christmas Special."
D. "Santa Claus is Comin' to Town"
3. Jules Styne and Bob Merrill, who wrote the songs for "Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol," also collaborated on the songs for what Broadway hit that later became a movie?
B. "Bye Bye Birdie"
C. "The Music Man"
D. "Funny Girl"
4. All of the original stars of "The Brady Bunch" returned for "A Very Brady Christmas" except one? Who was it?
A. Eve Plumb
B. Susan Olsen
C. Maureen McCormick
D. Ann B. Davis
5. Which star of "The Golden Girls" appeared in "The Star Wars Holiday Special"?
A. Beatrice Arthur
B. Rue McClanahan
C. Estelle Getty
D. Betty White
6. Which show has aired at least once a year, since 1964, giving it the longest uninterrupted run of any Christmas TV special?
A. "A Charlie Brown Christmas"
B. "Frosty the Snowman"
C. "Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer"
D. "How the Grinch Stole Christmas"
7. Which of the following isn't a Peanuts holiday special?
A. "It's Christmastime Again, Charlie Brown"
B. "Charlie Brown's Christmas Tales"
C. "I Want a Dog for Christmas, Charlie Brown"
D. "Have a Holly, Jolly Christmas, Charlie Brown"
8. What do the Grinch and Frankenstein's monster have in common?
A. They both hate Christmas.
B. They're both dislike loud noises.
C. Mobs want to kill them.
D. They were both played by Boris Karlof.
9. In "A Colbert Christmas: The Greatest Gift of All," Stephen Colbert sang with which of these stars?
A. Jon Stewart
B. Elvis Costello
C. Toby Keith
D. Willie Nelson
E. John Legend
F. All of the above
10. What is the name of the rabbit in "Frosty the Snowman"?
C. Hocus Pocus
D. Benjamin Bunny
1. (B) Drew Barrymore. "Olive" was produced by "Simpsons" creator Matt Groening, who provided the voice of Arturo the elf.
2. (C) Hope's 1970 Christmas show drew 27.26 million viewers. His 1971 holiday special is No. 2 on the list, with 27.05 million viewers.
3. (D) "Funny Girl."Styne also wrote the music for "Gypsy"; Merrill's hit songs included everything from "Mambo Italiano" to "How Much Is That Doggie In the Window?"
4. (B) Susan Olsen (Cindy Brady), who was on her honeymoon and was replaced by Jennifer Runyon.
5. (A) Beatrice Arthur played Ackmena, a bartender in Chalmun's Cantina in Mos Eisley on Tatooine.
6. (C) "Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer," which aired on NBC from 1964-67 and has aired on CBS since 1968.
7. (D) The others are all real specials.
8. (D). Karlof played the monster in "Frankenstein," "Bride of Frankenstein" and "Son of Frankenstein" as well as both narrating and providing the Grinch's voice in "How the Grinch Stole Christmas!" Although (B) would also be an acceptable answer.
9. All of the above. Really.
10. Hocus Pocus. Remember, he belonged to Professor Hinkle, the magician.
Contact Scott Pierce at firstname.lastname@example.org, follow him on Twitter @ScottDPierce, or read his blog at sltrib.com/blogs/tv.
On TV and DVD
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer • Tuesday, Dec. 4, 7 p.m., Channel 2
Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town • Tuesday, Dec. 11, 7 p.m. Channel 4; Friday, Dec. 14, 8 p.m., and Sunday, Dec. 16, 3 p.m., ABC Family
A Charlie Brown Christmas • Tuesday, Dec. 18, 7 p.m., Channel 4
I Want a Dog for Christmas, Charlie Brown • Thursday, Dec. 20, 7 p.m., Channel 4
Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol • Saturday, Dec. 22, 7 p.m., Channel 5
Olive, the Other Reindeer • Monday, Dec. 24, 10:30 a.m., Cartoon Network
• All of those shows are available on DVD, as are "A Colbert Christmas," "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" and highlights of Bob Hope's many Christmas specials.
• "A Very Brady Christmas" is tough to find; it was only released on VHS. And "The Star Wars Holiday Special" has not been released in any format because it's terrible so unless you can find somebody who taped it on VHS, you're out of luck.