This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2012, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.
Yes, the 2013 Utah Arts Festival is seven months away. If you're a musician who wants to perform there, the time to start preparing is now.
The deadline for music acts applying to perform at the June outdoor event is Dec. 31.
All applications must be submitted online this year, so don't just dump your demo tape at the door of UAF's offices. (Does anyone still use tapes, or is The Cricket just showing his age?)
If you miss the Dec. 31 deadline, there's still the chance to apply in January but there's a $5 late fee (which, for a larger band, may be more money than you make at an average gig).
Deadlines for other disciplines are as follows:
• Dance, Street Theater, & Literary Arts - Feb. 1, 2013.
• Commission for Chamber Ensemble - Feb. 4, 2013.
• Artist Marketplace/Visual Arts - Feb. 28, 2013 ($35 fee to apply to the show; artists who are juried in will pay a $500 booth fee, or $600 for corner booths).
• Culinary Arts - March 1, 2013 (Food vendors only).
• Fear No Film - March 1, 2013
• Mayor's Artists Awards - March 1, 2013
The 37th annual Utah Arts Festival runs June 20-23 at Library Square in downtown Salt Lake City.