Propane torch sparks Murray house fire

This is an archived article that was published on in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

A Murray man trying to thaw gutters on his home accidentally set the residence on fire.

The man was using propane torch on the roof of his home, 5450 S. Riley Lane (200 West), just after 7 p.m. Monday when the eaves of the home caught fire, Murray Fire Department spokesman Russ Groves said.

The fire spread into the attic, but was extinguished within abut 30 minutes, Groves said.

No one was injured.

A preliminary estimate places the damage at about $20,000, Groves said.

The resident may be temporarily displaced because of the fire, he said.