This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.
During 2012, I traveled to the Salt Lake area twice. On both occasions I found myself downtown attending a concert at the Gallivan Center. I heard the Basin Street Band in February and Lark and Spur last month.
I was so glad to attend these events. That they were free made it all the better, although I would have willingly paid! Some quick observations:
1. The musicians were excellent, professional and polished.
2. The sound quality was very good. The sound filled the room, but impressively, did not kill the eardrums.
3. Having a grand piano at the concerts was a welcome sight.
4. If I were in Salt Lake for a ski trip or business, I would bring friends along to these concerts.
5. The indoor venue is nice. I understand summer shows are outdoors. Could there be an outside show in the winter?
6. Could there be more shows throughout year?
I hope to attend again.
San Jose, Calif.