Sports briefs: Brad Keselowski to start on pole after rain cancels Las Vegas qualifying
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Auto racing • Defending Sprint Cup champion Brad Keselowski will start on the pole after rain forced NASCAR to cancel qualifying for Sunday's race at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway. The track got steady rain all morning Friday and again in the early afternoon after a brief break, forcing NASCAR to scrap practice and qualifying in Las Vegas for the first time.

Keselowski will be on the front row alongside Clint Bowyer, last season's second-place finisher. Daytona 500 champion Jimmie Johnson and teammate Kasey Kahne will be in the second row.

The top 36 spots are set by owners' points from last year, with the rest filled out by points or qualifying attempts.

Ex-skater accuses Gabel of rape

SPEEDSKATING • A second former speedskater has made sexual abuse accusations against Olympic medalist and former U.S. Speedskating president Andy Gabel, telling The Associated Press he raped her when she was 15. Gabel issued a statement to the AP denying the allegations Friday by Nikki Meyer.

Gabel issued a statement to the AP denying the allegations Friday by Nikki Meyer. He says, "I never forced myself on any individual and any allegations of that nature are absolutely false." He acknowledged that his conduct some 20 years ago was "inappropriate" and says he is "sorry for crossing that line."Meyer was known as Nikki Ziegelmeyer when she won a silver medal at the 1992 Albertville Games and a bronze two years later in Lillehammer. She says the rape occurred in the summer of 1991, and that Gabel later seduced her into a relationship that lasted nearly three years. Last week, Gabel resigned after speedskater Bridie Farrell said they began a relationship as teammates in 1997, when he was 33 and she was 15.

Dolphins reach deals with two players

NFL • Coming off his best season, veteran receiver Brian Hartline signed a five-year deal Friday for nearly $31 million to remain with the Miami Dolphins, his agent said.

Quarterback Matt Moore signed a two-year deal to remain as Ryan Tannehill's backup rather than test free agency and pursue a possible starting job. Hartline led Miami last season with 74 receptions for 1,083 yards.

• The Arizona Cardinals released Adrian Wilson, bringing an end to the five-time Pro Bowl strong safety's 12 seasons with the team. Wilson, who had been the longest-tenured player on the team, took a pay cut to stay with the Cardinals before last season.

From wire reports