Alleged child rapist surrenders to Salt Lake City police

This is an archived article that was published on in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

A man sought by Salt Lake City police for allegedly raping his girlfriend's adolescent daughter turned himself by walking into the police department Thursday morning.

Chervon Jason Laptiste, 40, had sex multiple times with the daughter of his live-in girlfriend when she was 12 and 13, and he forced her to perform several sex acts, according to charges filed earlier this month in 3rd District Court.

The girl, now 15, said Laptiste told her that if she told anyone, she would be taken away from her mother, police wrote.

In a related case, Laptiste was beaten and shot on May 29 near 2600 South and Highland Drive. Police, responding to an early morning 911 call about gunshots being fired, found Laptiste in a pool of blood in the middle of the street.

In court documents, police wrote that witnesses reported that three people beat Laptiste at a home "to force him to talk about another incident that had occurred previously. ... Mr. Laptiste refused to speak and the beating continued until Mr. Laptiste jumped out of the window."

Shots were fired, and Laptiste was found with a gunshot to the back.

Anthony Lamar Vick, 32, and Britney Flint-Jones, 31, each were charged with attempted aggravated murder, aggravated kidnapping, felony discharge of a firearm and other counts in relation to the shooting.

Salt Lake County District Attorney Sim Gill confirmed that the child-sex case and the shooting were related but declined to discuss specifics.

Laptiste has been charged with three counts of rape of a child, three counts of sodomy upon a child and three counts of aggravated sexual abuse of a child, all first-degree felonies. He also is charged with one count of dealing in harmful material to a minor and tampering with a witness, both third-degree felonies.

Twitter: @erinalberty